For lute playing opportunities, see:
Lute society meetings are free for all to attend, although there is usually a charge if you wish to attend the recital at the end of the meeting.
Agendas from previous meetings are available.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are generally held at the Dutch Church, 7 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2HA (nearest tubes: Bank, Liverpool Street).
Next quarterly meeting
May 5 AGM, meeting at The Dutch Church, lecture on German 19th century lute compositional techniques and style, and recital from Andrew Maginley, talk by Michael Lowe, ‘Plucked continuo instruments, why history matters’
If you are booking an advance train ticket, our recitals usually end around 5.45 pm, and always by 6.00 pm, when we vacate the hall.
Future meetings in 2018
- Mar 2–4 Lute Society stall, and try-the-lute session with Toby Carr, at British Banjo, Mandolin and Guitar Federation rally, Worthing, Sussex
- March 15–18, Benslow Lutefest (three-day event, Friday is optional) with Andrew Maginley, Alex McCartney, Lynda Sayce, Jeni Melia and Roy Marks.
- August 31–September 2, Lute weekend, within Utrecht Early Music Festival
- September 8, meeting at The Dutch Church, mini-recital from Dario Landi tbc, Xavier Cauhepe presents his new lute method tbc, Chelys ensemble plays Lachrimae
- October 27, European Lute Orchestra concert at Laval
- November 17, meeting at The Dutch Church, talk by Nigel North, recital of 6-course lute duets by Nigel North and Michael Gondko, mini-recital by Claudio Hernandez
Pictures from recent meetings
See Pictures from meetings