My interest in lute music began the late 1960s through the recordings and concerts of Julian Bream. From the beginning I was inspired by the help and enthusiasm of Diana Poulton and Robert Spencer and I have been committed ever since to helping others in a similar way. I was lucky enough to visit both numerous times to discuss lute music and am grateful for their willingness to share their knowledge and enthusiasm and loan me xeroxes and microfilms of lute sources at a time when no facsimile editions were available. I then I began collecting and cataloguing lute music which has continued until the present day, thankfully with the benefit of an ever-increasing number of modern and facsimile editions and the opportunity to acquire microfilms and digital copies from libraries holding the sources directly over the internet. I have also received generous help from many other lutenists and scholars around the world and it is my pleasure to share an interest in the lute with this ever growing community. I have also had an active career as a university teacher and researcher in biomedical sciences and maintain an organic allotment.
1. Lute News 8 (April 1988) [1 item, 1pp] Galliard from folio 6v of the Braye Lute Book or Osborn Commonplace Book
2. Lute News 10 (January 1989) [1 item, 1pp] Galliard by Jacob Pollac from Jean-Baptiste Besard’s Novus Partus (Augsburg, 1617)
3. Lute News 12 (April 1989) [3 items, 2pp] Three pieces from the Thysius MS
4. Lute News 13 (July 1989) [2 items, 1pp] Two more pieces from the Thysius MS
5. Lute News 15 (February 1990) [8 items, 2pp] Six Branles from Phalèse and Bellère’s Thesaurus Musicus, 15747 and Two pieces from Cambridge Univ. Library MS Dd.4.22
6. Lute News 16 (April 1990) [6 items, 2pp] Lute Music from ‘Per Brahes Visbok’ and Two more pieces from Cambridge Dd.4.22
1. Lute News 26 (April 1993) [6 items, 5pp] Music from Hans Neusidler’s Ein Newgeordent 1536 and Wroclaw Ms. 352. Tablature Sheet C12
2. Lute News 27 (August 1993) [5 items, 5pp] English Lute and Bandora Solos by Francis Cutting and Anon. Tablature Sheet C90
3. Lute News 28 (November 1993) [5 items, 6pp] Lute Solos by Becchi, Barberiis, Barbetta and Borrono.
4. Lute News 29 (January 1994) [8 items, 5pp] Lute Solos by Michael Cavendish, plus 4 Anon pieces and 1 by Thomas Dallis. Complete Lute Solos of Michael Cavendish (revised November 2004). Tablature Sheet C14
5. Lute News 30 (April 1994) [8 items, 5pp] Lute Solos from the Montbuysson manuscript in Kassel. Tablature Sheet C15
6. Lute News 31 (September 1994 and addendum in Lute News 32) [5 items, 4pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Edward Pearse Complete Lute Solos of Edward Pierce (revised January 2006). Tablature Sheet A1
7. Lute News 32 (November 1994) [7 items, 4pp] Lute Solos from the Grässe manuscript in Lodz. Tablature Sheet C16
8. Lute News 33 (January 1995 and addendum in Lute News 34). [6 items, 7pp] The Complete Lute Music [and a cittern solo] of Robert Ascue. Complete Lute Solos of Robert Ascue (revised January 2006). Tablature Sheet A2
9. Lute News 34 (May 1995 and postscript in Lute News 35) [7 items, 6pp] Seven Lute Solos by Jacob Reis. Eight Lute Solos by Jacob Reis (revised December 2005). Tablature Sheet C10
10. Lute News 35 (September 1995 and addendum in Lute News 36) [8 items, 9pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Mr. Lushier. Tablature Sheet A3
11. Lute News 36 (December 1995) [1 items, 1p] In dulci jubilo from Esaias Reusner’s Musicalischer Lustgarten, 1645.
12. Lute News 37 (March 1996) [12 items from 12 prints, 10pp] German renaissance lute solos and duets from printed sources. Tablature Sheet C9
13. Lute News 38 (June 1996) [11 items, 16pp] The Complete Lute Music ascribed to Master Newman - plus Wigmore’s Galliard. Tablature Sheet A4
14. Lute News 39 (September 1996) [10 items plus complete inventory, 12pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Gregory Howet - part I. Tablature Sheet A5
15. Lute News 40 (December 1996) [9 items, 12pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Gregory Howet - part II. Tablature Sheet A5
16. Lute News 41 (March 1997) [8 items, 16pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Robert Kindersley, Robert Taylor and Thomas Greaves. Tablature Sheet A6
17. Lute News 42 (June 1997) [10 items plus complete inventory, 12pp] A selection of lute solos in vieil ton tuning ascribed to Gauthier. Tablature Sheet C37
18. Lute News 43 (September 1997) [15 items, 12pp] English Lute Music Abroad I: Brade, RB, Cooper, Hoskins, Jenkins, Machyn, Simpson, Taire and Webster. Tablature Sheet C39
19. Lute News 44 (December 1997) [11 items plus complete inventory, 16pp] Eleven lute solos composed by Joachim van den Hove. Tablature Sheet C40
20. Lute News 45 (March 1998) [14 items, 18pp] Lute solos by Edward Blanks, Jeremy Chamberlain, Daniel Farrant, Andrew Marks, Henry Porter, William Simmes, Thomas Smyth and Thomas Vautor. Tablature Sheet C47
21. Lute News 46 (June 1998) [21 items and complete inventory, 16pp] Lute solos ascribed to Johan Rude, Mattheus Reymann and Elias Mertel. Tablature Sheet C49
22. Lute News 47 (September 1998 and addenda in Lute News 49 and 53) [18 items, 20pp] The Complete Lute Solos of Mathias Mason and John Marchant. Tablature Sheet A7
23. Lute News 48 (December 1998) [4 items, 4pp] The Complete Lute Music of Raphael de Viola and two anonymous dances from the Johann Aegidius Berner van Rettenwert lute book. Tablature Sheet A8
24. Lute News 49 (March 1999) [14 items, 16pp] Galliards by or for Clarke, James Harding, Hawle, Lord Hereford, Edward Johnson, Knowles, Lichfield, Robert Sidney and Squier. Tablature Sheet C58
25. Lute News 50 (June 1999) [15 items, 20pp] Lute solos by Italian musicians at the English Court: Augustine Bassano, Lodwick, Ambrose, Anthony, Mark Anthony, Petro and Renaldo Paradiso. Tablature Sheet A9
26. Lute News 51 (September 1999) [23 items, 12pp] English Lute Music Abroad II: Anonymous music with English associations in the title Tablature Sheet C63.
27. Lute News 52 (December 1999) [14 items, 21pp] Five Lute Solos Ascribed to CK and Lute Solos Ascribed to TA, RB, CD, E, N and JR. Tablature Sheet A10
28. Lute News 53 (April 2000) [8 items, 10pp] The Complete Lute Solos of John Sturt. Tablature Sheet A11
29. Lute News 54 (June 2000) [43 settings of 12 ballads, 24pp] English Lute Music Abroad III: Ballad Tunes. Tablature Sheet C70.
30. Lute News 55 (September 2000) [15 items, 23pp] Lute settings of music by Parsons, Strogers, Tallis and Taverner. Tablature Sheet C71
31. Lute News 56 (December 2000) [6 items, 11pp] Lute music ascribed or dedicated to John Whitfield, Greene and Southwell. Tablature Sheet A12
32. Lute News 57 (March 2001) [11 items, 18pp] Collected Lute Music of Valentin Strobel the Elder. Tablature Sheet A13
33. Lute News 58 (June 2001) [16 items, 29pp] Collected Lute Music of Brewster, Bulman, Cotton, E. E., Fernyer and Weston. Tablature Sheet A14
34. Lute News 59 (September 2001) [54 items, 28pp] Lute arrangements of Canario and Canaries. Tablature Sheet D10/C80
35. Lute News 60 (December 2001) [16 items, 12pp] Music ascribed to A. F. in Basel F.IX.70. Tablature Sheet A15
36. Lute News 61 (April 2002) [12 items, 17pp] Lute Music Associated with Thomas Morley. Tablature Sheet A16
37. Lute News 62 (June 2002) [11 items, 17pp] Collected Lute Music of Albert Dlugoraj (1558 - >1586) - Part 1. Tablature Sheet A17
38. Lute News 63 (September 2002) [19 items, 14pp] Collected Lute Music of Albert Dlugoraj (1558 - >1619): Part 2. Tablature Sheet A17
39. Lute News 64 (December 2002) [36 items, 20pp] Lute Arrangements of Maske Music, Part 1: Lord Zouche’s and The French King’s Masks, Kemp’s Jig and A Toy. Tablature Sheet C86
40. Lute News 65 (March 2003) [17 items, 16 pp] Lute Arrangements of Maske Music, Part 2: Masque of the Inner Temple and Gray’s Inn. Tablature Sheet C91
41. Lute News 66 (June 2003) [22 items, 17pp] Lute Arrangements of Maske Music, Part 3: Masques of Squire’s, Lord’s, Flowers and Augurs, etc. Tablature Sheet C94
42. Lute News 67 (September 2003) [30 items, 24pp] Lute Arrangements of Maske Music, Part 4: Music for Oberon, Middle Temple and Lincoln’s Inn and Queens Masques probably by Robert Johnson. Tablature Sheet C95
43. Lute News 68 (December 2003) [24 items, 22pp] Twenty Four Preludes and Recercars for Lute from the Early Renaissance. Tablature Sheet C96
44. Lute News 69 (March 2004) [20 items, 30pp] Collected Lute Music of Francis Pilkington. Tablature Sheet A19
45. Lute News 70 (June 2004) [31 items, 20pp] Renaissance Dances, Part I. Tablature Sheet C100
46. Lute News 71 (September 2004) [39 items, 25pp] Manuscript Sources of Music Associated with Thomas Robinson. Tablature Sheet A20
47. Lute News 72 (December 2004) [34 items, 28pp] Renaissance Dances part 2. Tablature Sheet C101
48. Lute News 73 (March 2005) [34 items, 16pp] Lute arrangements of Scottish and other Ballads I: John Skene’s mandora book. Tablature Sheet C105
49. Lute News 74 (June 2005) [14 items, 17pp] Lute Music ascribed to or associated with Robert Dowland. Tablature Sheet A21
50. Lute News 75 (October 2005) [12 items, 20pp] The Complete Fantasias and Toccatas of Pietro Paulo Borrono. Tablature Sheet A22
51. Lute News 76 (December 2005) [31 items, 21pp] A Selection of Morris tunes and English Ballads. Tablature Sheet C113
52. Lute News 77 (March 2006) [27 items, 21pp] Dutch Renaissance Lute music, by Mr. David (Janszoon Padbrué?), Monsieur Tuenhuijsen, Mr Marten (Persijn?), Mr. Eman(uel Adriaensen?) and Anon. Tablature Sheet A23
53. Lute News 78 (June 2006) [43 items, 23pp] Lute Arrangements of Maske Music, Part 5: Dances for the revels. Tablature Sheet C121
54. Lute News 79 (September 2006) [28 items, 21pp] Lute arrangements of music by Johannes Leo Hassler (1564-1612). Tablature Sheet C122
55. Lute News 80 (December 2006) [14 items, 21pp] Late English Renaissance Lute Music some in transitional tunings
56. Lute News 81 (March 2007) [38 items, 21pp] Lute Music for Comic Actors, Fools, Buffoons and Matachins. Tablature Sheet C129
57. Lute News 82 (June 2007) [16 items, 19pp] Complete Lute Solos of Kasper Sielicki, Petrus Konopacky and Franciszek Maffon. Tablature Sheet A24
58. Lute News 83 (September 2007) [27 items, 23pp] Complete lute music ascribed to Thomas Dallis, Edward Herbert and John Lawrence plus a selection from the lute books of John Wilson, Christopher Lowther, and Trinity College MS O.16.2. Tablature Sheet A25
59. Lute News 84 (December 2007) [18 items, 20pp] A selection of lute solos from the lute book of Wolfgang von Grünbühel. Tablature Sheet C133
60. Lute News 85 (April 2008) [20 items, 17pp] Collected Lute Music of Diomedes Cato of Venice: Part I: Galliards. Tablature Sheet A27/1
61. Lute News 86 (July 2008) [8 items, 15pp] Music for Lute and Bass Viol by John Maynard plus two anonymous pavans. Tablature Sheet A26
62. Lute News 87 (September 2008) [18 items, 22pp] Collected Lute Music of Diomedes Cato of Venice: Part II: Preludes Fugas and Intabulations. Tablature Sheet A27/2
63. Lute News 88 (December 2008) [23 items, 21pp] Preludes from the Lute Books of Pierre Attaingnant and Pierre Phalèse. Tablature Sheet C141
64. Lute News 89 (April 2009) [16 items, 25pp] Lute Music of Alfonso Ferrabosco the Elder Part I: Fantasias
65. Lute News 90 (July 2009) [27 items, 21pp] Collected Lute Music of Diomedes Cato of Venice: Part III: Chorea, Balletti, Passamezi and Barriera. Tablature Sheet A27/3
66. Lute News 91 (September 2009) [20 items, 22pp] Twenty continental preludes and exercises from an English manuscript - Cambridge University Library Add. MS 3056.
67. Lute News 92 (December 2009) [23 items, 20pp] Lute solos ascribed to Philipp Hainhofer’s lute teacher Nicolo Legname.
68. Lute News 93 (April 2010) [22 items, 20pp] Anonymous English Pavans and Galliards
69. Lute News 94 (August 2010) [18 items, 20pp]. The Complete Fantasias of Julio Abondante detto dal Pestrino.
70. Lute News 95 (October 2010) [13 items, 21pp]. Collected Lute Music of Diomedes of Venice: Part IV: Fantasias 1-10. Tablature Sheet A27/4
71. Lute News 96 (December 2010) [13 items, 27pp]. English Pavans in Mylius 1622.
72. Lute News 97 (April 2011) [13 items, 22pp]. Collected Lute Music of Diomedes of Venice: Part V: Fantasias 11-20. Tablature Sheet A27/5
73. Lute News 98 (July 2011) [27 items, 20pp]. Recercars and Preludes from the beginning and end of the Renaissance.
74. Lute News 99 (October 2011) [25 items, 20pp]. Lute music ascribed to Pierre or Luc Despont, and to D.
75. Lute News 100 (December 2011) [51 items, 29pp]. The complete settings of easier lute solos by John Dowland Part 1: No 48, 50, 52, 55, 56, 65, 77, 98 & 99.
76. Lute News 101 (April 2012) [22 items, 28pp]. The Complete Fantasias of Giacomo Gorzanis, and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland - Part 2: No 49 & 102.
77. Lute News 102 (July 2012) [34 items, 23pp]. Lute Music by René Saman, and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 3: No 61 - Orlando sleepeth.
Lutezine 1: Fantasias of Valentin Bakfark [12 items, 33pp].
78. Lute News 103 (September 2012) [36 items, 28pp]. Lute music of Alfonso Ferrabosco the Elder (1543-1588) Part 2: Pavans and Galliards, and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 4: No 26 27 29 30 85 87 & 103.
Lute-zine 2: Complete Preludes of Hans Judenkünig, Hans Gerle and Hans Newsidler [36 items, 54pp].
79. Lute News 104 (December 2012) [40 items, 37pp]. Recercars from Libro Secondo of Francesco Spinacino and the Thibault Manuscript, and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 5: No 43 Lady Rich’s Galliard.
Lute-zine 3: Walsingham [53 items, 54pp].
80. Lute News 105 (April 2013) [24 items, 33pp]. Collected Lute Music of Edward Collard and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 6: No 22 Dowland’s First Galliard.
Lute-zine 4: Fantasias and Recercars of Melchior Barberiis [39 items, 57pp].
81. Lute News 106 (July 2013) [21 items, 28pp]. Vicenzo Bernia of Bologna and the complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 7: No 70 Variations on Robin has to the greenwood gone.
Lute-zine 5: Recercars of Vicenzo Capirola, tunes associated with Robin Hood, and an anthology of ballads for cittern [23 items, 13pp].
82. Lute News 107 (October 2013) [36 items, 28 pp] French lute composers - Monsieurs de La Grotte, La Barre, Varennes, Lanclos, Nognies, Vaumesnil and Salomon. Complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland part 8: no 42 - The Earl of Essex galliard or Can She Excuse.
Lute-zine 6: Arrangements of the Earl of Essex Galliard/Can She Excuse, Essex Dump and Ballads Excuse Me and the Woods So Wild. Practice pieces - clausula coloratura diminutio dirata exercitia finale leufenlein passagio etc. [103 items, 72 pp].
83. Lute News 108 (December 2013) [40 items, 28pp]. Collected Lute Music of Robert Johnson Part I: Almaines; and Complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland part 9: No 51, 96 and an appendix.
Lutezine 7: Recercars from Spinacino I and Bossinensis I & II; Cittern arrangements of music by John Dowland; More arrangements of Robert Johnson Almaines [116 items, 99pp]
84. Lute News 109 (April 2014) [25 items, 27pp]. Lute Music ascribed to Giovanni ‘Nanni’ da Milano and other Giovanni's. The complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 10: No 64 Go from my window & 69 Loth to depart.
Lutezine 8: Other arrangements of the ballads Go from my Window and Loth to Depart; Italian lute solos by more Giovanni's and the Italian dances from the Donaueschingen MS; The two guitar fantasies of Albert de Rippe [part 1] [76 items, 83pp].
85. Lute News 110 (July 2014) [22 items, 33pp]. Collected Lute Music of Robert Johnson Part II: Pavans Galliards and Coranto
The complete settings of lute solos by John Dowland Part 11: No 83 Galliard 106 Monsieurs Almaine, and 69 Loth to depart, revised.
Lutezine 9: Other Settings of Robert Johnsons Galliards; Other settings of Monsieur's Almaine; Rippe [part 2:] fantasias 5, 25 & 26 [51 items, 69 pp].
86. Lute News 111 (October 2014) [31 items, 28pp]. Gagliarde by Santino Garsi da Parma (1542-1604); John Dowland part 12: no 54 Lady Hunsdon's Puffe & no 24/92 galliard on Awake sweet love.
Lutezine 10: Santino Garsi Da Parma (1542-1604), Ascanio And Donino Garsi, Balletto Detta La Mezza Pace & Albert De Rippe Part 3: Fantasies No 22-24 [69 items, 63 pp].
87. Lute News 112 (December 2014) [34 items, 30pp]. Lute Solos of Victor de Montbuission - Daniel Bacheler's four Corantos - John Dowland part 13: Coranto (100) and dances for Mrs Vaux (32 & 57). [33 items, 30pp]
Lutezine 11: The Spanish Pavan and Pavaniglia & Albert de Rippe Part 4: Fantasies No 20-21 [105 items, 93pp]
88. Lute News 113 (April 2015) [30 items, 33pp]. John Dowland part 14: Smith's Almaine (47) Frog Galliard (23) dances for Lady Clifton (41 45 & 53) Shoemaker's Wife (58) Lord Willougby's Welcome Home (66) Coye Toye (80) and The Queen's Galliard (97) - plus Daniel Bacheler's only fantasie.
Lutezine 12: More settings of Frog Galliard & Lord Willoughby/Roland; music for Sir John Packington & Albert de Rippe Part 5: Fantasies No 18-19 [95 items, 83pp]
89. Lute News 114 (July 2015) [36 items, 31pp]. Complete lute music of Julien Perrichon; Corrente by Giulio Pedrizzano and Lorenzino & John Dowland part 15: Pavan (16) and Galliard (35).
Lutezine 13: More Perrichon and anonymous French music from the Donaueschingen MS; Ballad settings: Mal Sims, Light of Love and Sellengers Round & Albert de Rippe Part 6: Fantasies No 16 & 17 [136 items, 103pp].
90. Lute News 115 (October 2014) [26 items, 30pp]. The galliards of Lorenzino Tracetti and Vincenzo Pinti, Daniel Bacheler's Round - John Dowland part 16: Captain Candische his Galliard (21)
Lutezine 14: Additional versions of Gagliarde by the Knight Of The Lute; Gagliarde by Giovanni Maria Radino; Settings of La Tambarino; Ballads The Blacksmith, When Daphne Did From Phoebus Fly, All You That Love Good Fellows and Can You Not Hit It My Good Man; Settings of The popular tune En Me Revenant/More Palatino & Albert De Rippe Part 7: Fantasies No 13-15 [107 items, 96pp]
91. Lute News 116 (December 2015) [43 items, 33pp]. Daniel Bacheler's galliards; settings of eight Ballads & John Dowland part 17: Galliard on Bacheler's Galliard (28) and galliard (105).
Lutezine 15: More versions of Daniel Bacheler & James Harding Galliards and John Dowland No 28, The Lute Music of Tobias Khüne, Lord Zouche's March & Albert de Rippe Part 8: Fantasie No 12. [82 items, 81pp]
92. Lute News 117 (April 2016) [44 items, 31pp] Complete lute music of Charles Bocquet & John Dowland part 18: No 62 Fortune my foe & No 63 Complaint.
Lutezine 16: Settings of ballad & dance tunes including Fortune my foe; Complete lute music of Charles Bocquet (continued), Three corantos from the Hirsch lute book & Albert de Rippe Part 9: Fantasies No 9-11. [118 items, 91pp]
The Solo Lute Music of Richard Allison with Bandora and Cittern Arrangements, edited by John H. Robinson and Stewart McCoy with a biographical sketch by Robert Spencer (London: Lute Society Music Editions, 1994).
The Complete Works of John Danyel, vol. 1: Lute Music, edited by Martin Shepherd, tablature and text typeset and produced by John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 1997, ISBN 0 905 655 09 5).
The Lute Music of Philip Rosseter, edited by Robert Spencer, revised by John H. Robinson and Stewart McCoy (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 1998, ISBN 0 905 655 13 3).
Lute Intabulations of Works by Peter Philips, edited by David J. Smith and John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 1998, ISBN 0 905 655 17 6).
Fifty-eight Very Easy Pieces for Renaissance Lute, edited by Jeanne Fischer and Christopher Goodwin, music chosen by John H. Robinson and Christopher Goodwin, with fingerings by Lynda Sayce (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 1999, ISBN 0 905 655 22 2).
British Library Additional Manuscript 31389: A Venetian Lute Manuscript of circa 1520, edited by Denys Stephens and John H. Robinson (Albury: The Lute Society, 2006, ISBN 0 905655 54 0).
70 Easy to Intermediate Pieces for Renaissance Lutes, selected and edited by John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 2009, ISBN 978 0 905655 70).
114 Early to Intermediate Pieces for Renaissance Lute from a Student’s Lute Book of 1603 and other Manuscripts, edited by John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 2010, ISBN 978 0 905655 79 6).
Complete Lute Solos of Marco dall’Aquila edited by Denys Stephens and John H Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, 20).
Thibault vol. 1, edited by Denys Stephens and John H Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, in preparation).
Music by Gaulthier in renaissance tuning, edited by John H Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Music Editions, in preparation).
Facsimile 2: Krakow Mus. Ms. 40641, with an introductory study by Robert Spencer, John H. Robinson and François-Pierre Goy (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2000, ISBN 0 905655 19 2).
Facsimile 3: Washington Folger-Shakespeare Library Ms. V.b.280, with an introductory study by Ian Harwood, Christopher Goodwin and John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2003, ISBN 0 905655 28 1).
Facsimile 4: John Welde’s Lute Book, private library of Lord Forester, Willey Park, Cheshire, with an introductory study by Ian Harwood, John H. Robinson, Martin Shepherd and Stewart McCoy (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2004, ISBN 0 905655 39 7).
Facsimile 5: Osborn fb7, The James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, edited by Stewart McCoy, concordances and bibliography by John H. Robinson and typeset by Ian Harwood (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2007, ISBN 0 905655 50 8).
Facsimile 6: The ‘Wickhambrook’ Lute Manuscript, with an introductory study by Ian Harwood and inventory with concordances and bibliography by John H. Robinson (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2008, ISBN 978 0 905655 365 9).
Facsimile 7: The Mathew Holmes Manuscripts I: Cambridge University Library MS Dd.2.11, with an introductory study and inventory with concordances and bibliography by John H. Robinson, commentary by Stewart McCoy and typeset by Ian Harwood (Albury: Lute Society Facsimile Editions, 2010, ISBN 978 0 905655 71 0).
LSA Quarterly 30, no. 3 (August 1995), pp. 20-1 & 24. Balletti de Contadino Lombardi, Barbetta, Intavolatura di Liuto 1585, p. 21; Bianco Fiore, Gardano, Balletti Moderni Facili 1611, p. 11; Chorea Polonica - Eiusdem, D LEm II.6.15, p. 407.
LSA Quarterly 31, no. 1 (February 1996), pp. 14-15 & 17. Fantasia incerti a Frankfurt. 2. xmb. Anno 1615, D Hs M B/2768 (Schele), pp. 47-8.
LSA Quarterly 31, no. 2 (May 1996), pp. 12-15. Fantasia Giovanni Pacoloni and Recercar Giacomo Gorzanis: Recercar Terzo, Giacomo Gorzanis, Primo Libro 1561, sigs. I3-I3v; Fantasia Bellissima, Goane Pacoleno, UKR LVu 1400/I, ff. 32v-34r.
LSA Quarterly 38, no. 4 & 39, no. 1 (November 2003 & February 2004), pp. 26-31. A Fantasia and two Fugues from Leipzig Ms. II.6.15 and Fantasia Primo, Molinaro Intavolatura di Liuto 1599.
LSA Quarterly 39, no. 3 (September 2004) pp. 42-45. Two Recercars on the same theme (from I-Fn 168, ff. 14v-15r and the PL-Kj 40032) [the Quarterly editors unfortunately halved the rythym signs in transcribing the tablature in Fronimo]
LSA Quarterly 40, no. 1 (February 2005) pp. 32-37. Anonymous Variations on Two Ballad Tunes: Dargasson and Go From My Window [the Quarterly editors unfortunately corrupted the text and halved the rhythm signs in transcribing the tablature in Fronimo].
LSA Quarterly 40, no. 4 (November 2005) pp. 28-31. German Lute Solos from Ludwig Iselin’s Lute Book.
LSA Quarterly 41, no. 1 (February 2006) pp. 23-26. 9 Brandes from the Lute book of Johann Thys.
LSA Quarterly 41 no. 4 (November 2006) pp. 15-19. Eight Preludes from German Tablature Sources.
LSA Quarterly 42, no. 3 (September 2007), pp. 14-19. Eight Dances from German Tablature Sources.
LSA Quarterly 44, no. 3 (Fall 2009), pp. 22-25. Two Recercars from the Medici lute book.
LSA Quarterly 49, no. 2 & 3 (Summer & Fall 2014), pp. 38-48. Reconstruction of Music from Damaged Pages of the Castelfranco Veneto Manuscript.
‘CPM PLUS The Catalogue of Printed Music in the British Library, 2nd edition (Bowker-Saur, 1997) on CD-ROM for Windows’. The Lute 40 (2000), pp. 77-78.
‘Theatrum Musicum, Longe ... Excudebat Petrus Phalesius sibi & Ioanni Bellero Bibliopolae Antuerpiensi, Lovanii 1571, complete facsimile edition including introduction and index with concordances and notes by Henri Vanhulst (Genève: Éditions Minkoff, 2002)’. The Lute 42 (2002), pp. 80-83.
‘Il Primo Libro / Secondo Libro Intabolatura di Liuto di Melchior Neysidler Alemano, Sonatore di Liuto in Augusta, ... In Venetia appresso di Antonio Gardano, 1566, complete facsimile edition includingan introduction and index by Charles G. Jacobs (Genève: Éditions Minkoff, 2002)’. The Lute 42 (2002), pp. 83-87.
‘Guillaume Morlaye, Troisiesme Livre de Tablature de Leut, Contenant Plusieurs Chansons, Fantaisias, Motets, Pavanes & Gailliardes, Paris: Michel Fezandat, 1558, complete facsimile edition including an index (Genève: Éditions Minkoff, 2002)’. The Lute 42 (2002), pp. 87-90.
‘Intabolatura de Liuto di M. Franceso da Milano et Perino Fiorentino suo Discipulo. Di Recercati, Madrigali, & Canzoni Francese. Libro Terzo, Venetia, 1562, complete facsimile edition including an introduction and index with concordances by Richard K. Falkenstein (Genève: Éditions Minkoff, 2002)’. The Lute 42 (2002), pp. 90-94.
‘The Lute Calendar: The Renaissance Lute Made Easy, collected and edited by Stefan Lundgren, in 4 volumes (München: Lundgren Editions, 2005)’. The Lute 44 (2004), pp. 82-85.
‘Ernst Schele Tabulatur Buch. Musica & Vinum laetificant cor hominis, Anno 1619: Faksimile der Lautenhandschrift nach dem Exemplar der Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Hamburg (Glinde: Jarchov Verlag, May 2004), complete facsimile and including introduction in German and English, inventory with concordances and bibliography by Ralf Jarchow’. The Lute xliv (2004), pp. 85-89.
‘Giulio Cesare Barbetta: Collected Works for Lute, transcribed and edited by Gian Luca Lastraioli (TREE Edition, 2005); Lute Music of Giulio Cesare Barbetta, The Art of the Lute in Renaissance Italy, volume IV, edited by Dick Hoban and Jason Kortis (Lyre Music, 2004)’. The Lute 44 (2004), pp. 89-94.
‘Facsimile edition of the Lautenbuch des Wolff Christian von Harling ca. 1618, by Joachim Lüdtke (TREE Edition, 2005)’. The Lute 44 (2004), pp 94-96.
‘Neapolitan Lute Music: Fabrizio Dentice, Giulio Severino, Giovanni Antonio Severino, Francesco Cardone, Edited by John Griffiths and Dinko Fabris (Middleton, Wisconsin: A-R Editions, 2004) ISBN 0-89579-566-3’. The Lute 45 (2005), pp. 101-105.
‘Lautenbuch der Elisabeth von Hessen: Elisabeth’s Lute Book. Facsimile 4o Ms. Mus. 108.1, Universitätsbibliothek Kassel, edited by Axel Halle (Kassel: Bärenreiter-Verlag, 2005)’. The Lute 45 (2005), pp. 112-116.
‘Joachim van den Hove Lautenbuch, Leiden 1615: Faksimile nach der Lautenhandschrift in der Staatsbibliothek Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz Signatur: Mus. ms. autogr. Hove 1 (Glinde: Jarchow Verlag, 2006), complete facsimile with an introduction in German and English, inventory with concordances and bibliography by Ralf Jarchow’. The Lute 46 (2006), pp. 76-80.
‘Luis Milan El Maestro, Socieded de la Vihuela facsimile.’ The Lute 47 (2007), 110-115.
‘Joanambrosio Dalza: Works for Lute, edited and reproduced in Italian tablature by Gian Luca Lastraioli (Lübeck, Tree Edition, 2007)’ The Lute 48 (2008), pp. 83-87.
‘German and Italian dances from the late 16th century from manuscripts of Stuttgart and Genova, from the lute day on 12 October 2003’ (Belgian Lute Academy). ‘12 Flemish songs from the Thysius manuscript (Belgian Lute Academy, October 1998)’. The Lute 49 (2009), 74-76.
‘Johannes Nauclerus Lute Book: Faksimile nach der Lautenhandschrift in der Staatsbibliothek Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz Signatur: Mus. ms. 40141 (Glinde: Jarchow Verlag, 2010), complete facsimile with an introduction in German and English, inventory with concordances and bibliography by Ralf Jarchow’. The Lute 50 (2009) 96-99.
'Valentin Bakfark: Ten Fantasias for Renaissance Lute' transcribed by Judit G Pásztor (Akkord Publishing Budapest, 2013). The Lute 51 (2011), 82-84.
'Európai Táncdallamok Gitárra . . . (Codex Kájoni, 1642)' edited by István Szabó (Budapest: Rózsavölgyi, 2004). The Lute 51 (2011), 85-86.
'The Danzig Lutebook edited by Magdalena Tomsinska' (TREE Edition, 2013), complete facsimile with an introduction in English, inventory with concordances and bibliography. The Lute 52 (2012), pp. 99-102.
'Down in the Dompes: The Collected English Lute Dumps transcribed and edited by Michael Fink' (Westminster CA, LGV Publishing Inc., 2008). The Lute 52 (2012), pp. 96-99.
Other editions and contributions
Der ander theil des lautenbuchs Hans Neusidler (1536), a performing edition in French Tablature edited by Miles Dempster, with an introduction by John H. Robinson (Montreal: Score Conversions, 1995).
Collected Lute Solos by Gregory Howet, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 1998).
Musicke with her Silver Sound ... being the finest of musicke for solo lute from Renaissance England collected from manuscript sources, edited by Richard Darsie and John H. Robinson (Davis: Silver Sound Publications, 1999).
Collected Lute Solos of Hortensio Perla of Padua and Pomponio of Bologna, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2000).
Lautenbuch des Albert Dlugorai 1619. Band II (seiten 181-343), edited and transcribed by Herbert Speck, with inventory and concordances by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2004).
Lautenbuch des Albert Dlugorai 1619. Band III (seiten 348-412), edited and transcribed by Herbert Speck, with inventory and concordances by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2005).
Collected Lute Solos ascribed to Elias Mertel, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2007).
Louis de Moy: Le Petit Boucquet de Frise Oriental. Chansonettes Musicales Pavanes pour le Luth & Violins. Parts I & II, with introduction by Albert Reyerman/Hendrik Dochhorn and concordances by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2008).
Fantasias and Recercars for Renaissance Lute, vol. 1: Lute Fantasias and Recercars transcribed from Prints in German tablature, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2008).
Het Luitboek van Thysius / The Thysius Lute Book, facsimile edition with an introduction by Jan W. J. Burgers & Louis Peter Grijp and a list of concordances by Louis Peter Grijp, Simon Groot & John H. Robinson (Leiden and Utrecht: Nederlandse Luitvereniging & Koninklijke Vereniging voor Nederlandse Muziekgeschiedenis, 2009).
Lute Intabulations of Music by Paul Hofhaimer (1459-1537), transcribed and edited by John H. Robinson, in: The Art of the Lute in Renaissance Germany, Volume 1: Early Manuscripts (Fort Worth TX: Lyre Music, 2009).
Fantasias and Recercars for Renaissance Lute, vol. 2: Lute Fantasias and Recercars transcribed from Manuscripts in German Tablature c.1520-1580, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2010).
Fantasias and Recercars for Renaissance Lute, vol. 3: Lute Fantasias and Recercars transcribed from Manuscripts in German Tablature c.1580-1630, edited by John H. Robinson (Lübeck: TREE Edition, 2012).
‘Hove, Joachim van den’ in: New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, edited by Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell (London: Macmillan, 2001), Grove Music Online
‘A description of the Medici Lute Manuscript (MS II.C.23) in the Dolmetsch Library, and a summary of modern studies’, The Consort 63, pp. 5-19 (2005). Reprinted in Lute Society of America Quarterly 44 no. 3 (Fall 2009), pp. 15-21.
Oral presentation ‘Was Robert Dowland a Competent Composer?’, Medieval and Renaissance Music Conference, Centre d’Etudes Superieures de la Renaissance, Tours (13-16 July 2005).
‘John Leyden’s Lyra Viol Manuscript in Newcastle University Library and George Farquhar Graham’s Copy in the National Library of Scotland’ The Viola da Gamba Society Journal II, pp. 17-57 (2008).
Panel member of session on tablature at the International Musicological Society meeting (Amsterdam, 10 July 2009). Member of IMS ‘Tablature’ Study Group.
David Greer and John H. Robinson 'A Fragment of Tablature in the Marsh Library' The Lute 49 (2009) 30-35.
Sleeve notes for Joachim Held’s CD 'Merry Melancholy - Englische Lautenmusik des 16. Jahrhunderts' (Hänssler Classics 98.600, 2010).
'Lute Music of Servatius Saremont' Académie Belge de Luth Yearbook 2013, pp. 54-60.
‘Four English country-dance tunes in Trinity College, Dublin Manuscript 408//II: A tune for Hay the gye’ The Lute liii (2013) 54-66.
Jan W.J. Burgers, Louis Peter Grijp and John H. Robinson 'A newly discovered Dutch lute book: MS Enkhuizen 1667-1', in: Jan W.J. Burgers, Tim Crawford and Matthew Spring (ed.), The lute and its music in the Netherlands in the seventeenth century. Proceedings of the International Lute Symposium Utrecht, 30 August 2013 (in press).
Inventories for Wayne Cripp’s ‘Lutes old and new’ website
Music by 'Gaultier' in vieil ton tuning
Lute solos composed or arranged by Joachim van den Hove.
Inventories for Christian Meyer’s website for ‘Sources Manuscrites en Tablature’
GB-Cfm Ms. Mus. 688 (Chistopher Lowther lute book)
GB-Cu Ms. Add. 8844 (William Trumbull lute book)
GB-WPwelde-forester Ms. s.c. (John Welde lute book)
GB-En Ms. K.33.b suppl. ms. (manuscript additions to Archimedes 1533)
GB-HAdolmetsch Ms. II.C.23 (The ‘Medici’ lute book)
GB-Occ Ms. 254
Les Éditions de référence (catalogue des œuvres et concordances): Daniel Bacheler; Anthony Holborne.
Inventories of lyra viol sources for the Viola da Gamba Society (http://www.vdgs.org.uk/tab.html)
Hume, Tobias, The First part of Ayres, 1605
Hume, Tobias, Captain Humes Poeticall Musicke, 1607
Ford, Thomas, Musicke of Sundrie Kindes, 1607
Ferrabosco, Alfonso [II], Lessons for 1. 2. and 3. viols, 1609
Corkine, William, Ayres to Sing and Play to the Lute and Basse Violl, 1610
Corkine, William, The Second Booke of Ayres, 1612
Playford, John, A Musicall Banquet, 1651
Playford, John, Musick's Recreation on the Lyra Viol, 1652
Playford, John, Musick's Recreation on the Lyra Viol, 1661
Playford, John, Musick's Recreation on the Lyra Viol, 1669
Maynard, John, The Twelve Wonders of the World 1611
GB-Lbl, Egerton 2971
GB-SA, MS 38470/2
IRL-Dm, MS Z.3.5.13 (Narcissus Marsh MS)
S-N, Finspang 9096.3
Inventories and introductory text to accompany online facsimiles in the Cambridge Digital Library for the University of Cambridge (http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/music)
Cosens lute book MS Add.3056
Trumbull lute book MS Add.8844
Mathew Holmes lute bookS