About the Lute Society
The Lute Society, now 60 years old, exists to promote the lute and its music. Members get a new member's pack of 100 pages of lute music, a quarterly magazine, Lute News, with music supplement, an annual journal, The Lute, discounts on our growing range of publications and other benefits. Even if you can't make it to our meetings, playing days, and residential weekends in England, joining is an excellent way of building up your music library, and keeping in touch with other lute players, and with news in the lute world.
We are happy to retail our publications to non-members. The Society currently has around 1000 members.
As a member of the Lute Society you get
- A quarterly magazine, Lute News, with articles, news, views, CD reviews and competitions, and generous music supplements plus a PDF colour supplement, The Lutezine, with more reports, articles and music
- An annual scholarly journal, The Lute, with learned papers and book reviews
- Discounts on our rapidly growing list of publications
- A New Member's Pack, with over 100 pages of music in tablature
- Free small ads on the Lute Society website For Sale and Wanted page (see Small Ads)
We also have
- President: David Van Edwards
- Chairmain: Nicholas Gravestock
- Committee: Alan Hoyle, Din Ghani, Pat Glynn, John Reeve, Mike Ashley, Richard Jones, Ryaan Ahmed, Matthew Spring, Nicholas Gravestock, Paul Overell, Stephanie Feeney
- Secretary / Editor, Lute News: Christopher Goodwin
- Treasurer: David Protheroe
- Website Editor: Luke Emmet
- Editor, annual journal: Christopher Goodwin
- Publicity Secretary: Hector Sequera
- Lute hire administrator: Christopher Goodwin
- Editorial subcommittee, annual journal: Michael Lowe, Tim Crawford, John Robinson, Peter Forrester, Matthew Spring, David van Edwards
- Internet correspondent: vacant
- New CD listings, reviews co-ordinator: Monica Hall.
- General editor, music editions: Denys Stephens.
- Principal contributor to Lute News music supplements - honorary member John Robinson
- Microfilm librarian: John Reeve
- Donald Gill librarian: Djilda Segerman
Julian Bream, Dame Emma Kirkby, John Robinson, Anthony Bailes, Peter Lay and Donald Gill.
A copy of the society's constitution is available online.